- Balabolka is a Text To Speech (TTS) Software that can be used to read text on screen or any text passage you insert into the program. This is a great tool to support struggling readers, auditory learners, and English language learners.
- CoolPlayer+ is an easy to use audio player that you can use to play audio books, karaoke music, or other audio content.
Classroom & Lesson Management:
- Lab Partners from Multimedia Science is a great little tool for pairing students and defining multi-ability groups. With random partners, you can load a student list for a given class, create random groups of two, three, four, or five students, and then print them out. You can also group by grades as illustrated in my book, Co-teaching and Collaboration in the Classroom. This tool is only available on our Tech4Teachers flash drive.
Note: This program is no longer sold by Multimedia Science, but they were kind enough to offer us a portable version of the software for this collection, so please support them if you can.
- PC Chrono is an all-in-one advanced portable alarm clock, stopwatch, timer and “Wake Me Up” alarm clock. It’s a great tool for classroom management and for staying on-task when chunking your lesson plans.
- The Guide is a two-pane extrinsic outliner designed to help you organize information hierarchically.
Subject Specific Tools:
- ESBCalc is a Scientific Calculator that supports Infix Notation, Brackets, Scientific Functions (Trigonometric, Hyperbolic, Logarithmic “Base 10, Base 2 & Natural”), Memory, Paper Trail, Result History List and more. This is a great tool for showing students the process of mathematical problems, reinforcing visual learning, and teaching calculator skills.
- Marble is a Virtual Globe and World Atlas. You can pan and zoom around and you can look up places and roads.
- Stellarium is a popular astronomy program. Its features include constellation drawing, star names, planet viewing, nebulae watching, and more.
- Mnemosyne is a flashcard memorization tool that uses an advanced algorithm to determine when each card should be shown to maximize effectiveness.
- Tux Paint is a drawing program for kids that can be used to “Draw it so you’ll know it!” or to make simple comics and cartoons.
- RealWorld Paint is an Image Editor, much like Photoshop and other high end editors. Use this tool to edit or enhance visual images for you class.
- xMind is an easy to use charting software that’s commonly used for brainstorming sessions, personal mind mapping, or to capture knowledge and ideas.
- DamnVid is an application to download and convert videos from your computer or from dozens of video sharing websites like YouTube, Dailymotion, TeacherTube, Metacafe, etc.
- FocusWriter is a fullscreen, distraction-free word processor designed to immerse you (or your student) as much as possible in the work. The program autosaves your progress, and reloads the last files you had open to make it easy to jump back in during your next writing session.
- Greenshot is a screen capture or screenshot tool. It enables you to take a full screenshot or capture a part of your screen and save the image to a file. In addition, Greenshot allows you to apply text and shapes to your screenshot, making it a perfect tool to use for creating a tutorial or presentation based on your captured images.
- Hoversnap is a nice little stand alone screen snapshot tool that allows it’s user to take pictures of their desktop and manipulate the output format of the Screen shot. It supports captured full screen, active window or custom area Snapshots, but doesn’t have the editing capability of Greenshot.
- Iron is based on the free Sourcecode “Chromium” – but without some features that privacy advocates object to. This makes it a great choice for use in your classrooms as it will not report any information from your campus network.
- VLC Media Player plays audio and video files.
- XnView is an easy-to-use photo viewer, organizer, and converter.